There’s nothing worse than an overly bright mix. Sibilant vocals, splashy drums, resonant synths, fizzy guitars—too much top and your mix will burn ears, too little and it will sound lifeless. Taming those high-end and high-mid frequencies can be a tricky endeavor. Even for those with significant experience, it’s a region in the frequency spectrum that can get out of control quickly.
Why not try the following?
- See the brightness you’re hearing by visualizing your audio spectrum into an EQ
- De-ess grouped vocals to tame brightness
- EQ your reverb to tame brightness
- Separate low-end and high-end elements to soften percussion with time-based effects
- Remove resonance in the high-mids